When summer arrives, it’s our favourite time of year. Not only for the lovely hot weather but for the times we all come together and enjoy our annual Sports Days! Sports Day is one of the most exciting days of the year for most schools and pupils. For many people, Sports Day brings back fond memories of fun challenges and school spirit.
The goal of Sports Days is to promote awareness about the importance of sports and being physically active and the most important… having FUN! At SportyMinis, Sports Days are the best way for our little SportyMinis’ to combine all the essential fundamental movement skills they have learnt throughout the term. Providing a great opportunity to showcase to all parents and carers, just how well they are progressing.
SportyMinis is ready to share our 5 Easy Steps to creating your own sports day fun
Step 1 – Set a date and time, and then invite your friends and family round to join in the fun – if you have a big group, why not divide it into teams? Create 3-6 coloured or themed teams. (We do red, blue, green & yellow)
Step 2 – Now comes the important part – deciding on what races you’d like to host. Design your 4-6 Races …oh and don’t forget to warm up. Here is a list of our favourite races:
- Race 1: Egg and spoon (keep egg on the spoon to run up to cone and back to the starting line)
- Race 2: Rugby Kicking (ball is placed on cone and kicked, then placed on cone at the end and kicked)
- Race 3: Agility Race (In and out of the ladder, zig zag around the cones and back to the starting line)
- Race 4: Obstacle Race (Jump over hurdle, ball is rolled through tunnel children, crawl through collect ball, run around cone and back to line)
- Race 5: Sack Race (children each have a sack and jump in this to the end cone and back)
- Race 6: Relay Race with a baton (children race to the end and back giving baton to next team member)
See our race day schedule for both younger (1) and older (2) children:
Step 3 – Order your equipment…here is our equipment list
- Rugby Balls
- 6’ Hurdle
- Relay Baton
- Egg and spoons
Step 4 – Try these practise sporty minis sessions to prepare
Step 5 – HAVE FUN!